Preventive dentistry helps you keep your teeth for life. Tooth loss is often due to decay, gum disease and or trauma. If we are able to prevent or deal with these problems early on there is a higher chance for you to keep your teeth for life. Our first step is a thorough oral health examination that includes an evaluation of your teeth, gums, soft tissues and jaw joints. The aim is to identify and treat problems early and quickly before they become bigger problems. By working in a close consultation with you we can identify your wants and needs and can customise a treatment plan just for you.
We will also give you advice and information to help you look after your mouth not just for today but every day. So you can work as hard as possible for the best prevention. By working together we can build you a healthy smile that you will be proud of for many years to come. We have successfully transformed many new patients with extensive dental problems into patients with few or no problems over the years.
Our preventive program:
- A personalised home care program — includes instructions in plaque control techniques such as brushing, flossing and use of other dental hygiene products.
- Regular periodontal (Gum) maintenance to prevent gum disease. Our qualified hygienist can provide you with regular hygiene treatment to help with this.
- Dietary advice
- Regular checkups — Good cleaning, good diet and fluoride use help but are not good enough to maintain long-term oral health. Human beings are poorly set up for self diagnosis and by coming for regular checkups problems can be detected early and treated quickly.
- Topical Fluoride treatments through the use of fluoride toothpaste, mouth rinses, home care gels and professional fluoride application. Topical fluoride can aid in delaying or arresting the decay process and are used in patients who are susceptible to cavities.
- Custom made mouth guards will provide necessary protection in any sporting endeavour.
- Bite splints for patients who grind their teeth. This treatment prevents excessive enamel wear at night and other associated problems such as tooth sensitivity, muscle and jaw joint pains.